Friday 3 May 2013

Art Project at Primary School - 17 an 23rd. 4. 2013



Below is a copy of an email that I was sent to explain how I came to be involved with this project!



"Following a very successful Inside Out Art Group project in Oswestry Library for National Libraries Day, John Waine of the Best of Oswestry approached me, Diana Baur of Inside Out Art Group, and currently doing an M.A. in Art Practice at Glyndwy Uni, to say that Jane Quinn, Deputy Head of Holy Trinity School, Oswestry was interested in getting artists into their school and artwork up in her foyer.
Diana contacted her and Dorothy, a member of Inside Out Art Group and also doing her M.A. in Art Practice, and I and Jane met and discussed possibilities. We agreed to do a pilot, and Dorothy decided to use the opportunity for her current module. Three sessions were agreed and Dorothy would work with special needs children and their parents, encouraging co-operation and working together and interest in school based work. Dorothy decided to base the work on book art as this had already been a success in the Library. Diana thought that it would be useful to have a photographer record the project. Dawn was approached and has worked with Dorothy at the school".






Above is the project leader Dorothy





One happy helper!
















Above are 3 examples of ideas that were shown to the pupils for inspiration



Children at work














































































































All the above images were taken at the school, during the 2 sessions that I was there. I enjoyed this experience very much but was very aware that no images of the pupils were to be published. I have even smudged out any names that could possibly be read.

I became so engrossed with the activity, that on occasions I forgot why I was there and wanted to join in. Part of me wished that such activities had been around when I was at school, in particular for those identified with Dyslexia, which I battle with.

For me it was important that the children were able to view the images that I took and I saw this as a way of gaining their interest and trust. I would like the opportunity to do more of this sort of work with the Inside Out Art Group.


Thank you to Diana Baur, Dorothy and co. for this opportunity and also a big thanks to the children involved for their co-operation.



See the link below: 

http://insideoutart.co.uk/2013/05/02/things-that-go-bump/




No comments:

Post a Comment